Veterinarian Response to Covid-19 Crisis

4.8
(18)

Abstract

“You are braver than you believe and stronger than you look, and smarter than you think” Last year had faced an ever-remembering long-lasting impact of SARS-CoV-2 (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome – Corona Virus – 2). This incident had not only made the conditions worst but on other hand, had helped every citizen to introspect their inner hidden abilities and be their perfect version. The Veterinarians (one and only link between humans and animals) also did multiple tasks within the same duration, in order to protect not only humans but also the innocent voiceless beings too. Thus, inhibiting the chances of zooanthroponosis and maintaining one health equilibrium. Side by side, Veterinarians also performed their field works and helped farmers to manage their source of income. Hence, indirectly contributed to India’s GDP. It is clear by the statistic records that agriculture came up as a silver lining and became the only sector that showed positive growth in national GDP during the pandemic. Even many valuable laboratory research works were also contributed by the Veterinarian against the Corona virus. Not only this but the undergraduate students also raised their helping hands and helped the frontline workers in many tasks like food packets distribution to quarantined patients. The veterinary profession creates a bond between humans and animals and that is why it becomes the perfect shield against emerging zoonotic diseases.

Keywords: Zoonosis, One health, Farmers, Gross Domestic Product (GDP)

Introduction

One health is all about the challenges between humans, animals and the environment which are resolved by a trans-disciplinary, multi sectoral team[1]. Certain programs, legislations, policies and researches are designed and implemented in which multiple sectors work together under the umbrella of One health to achieve better public health outcomes.

The COVID-19 pandemic has put considerable pressure on public health services across the globe over the past 16 months. So far, around 200 countries have reported human cases of COVID-19 and 2.9M human deaths have occurred (09thApril, 2k21)[2]. Experts suggested that the virus causing COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2) have emerged from an animal source(bat, pangolins)[3] and some animals have become infected by people, the pandemic is being driven by human-to-human contact. No evidence, till now has shown animal’s role in spreading the disease[4].

This pandemic effect the population in numerous ways and remind us that multi-sectoral collaboration, in line with the “One Health” approach, and the sharing of expertise is more important than ever. After arrival of the first case, a vast amount of knowledge was gathered about this virus. Yet, queries remain, and much hard work needs to be done to better understand the origin of the virus and how it entered the human population.

Scientists are working around the clock to better understand the virus and its evolution, to develop interventions, and to enhance the capacity to respond to this human health crisis but the mutated strains are making the job tougher and tougher day by day with increasing no. of infected cases day by day. This pandemic taught us the need of sustainable One Health collaboration which can take many forms.

Beyond collaborative research, the animal health sector, and in particular, Veterinary Services, contributed in various ways towards building a common response to the pandemic. In many countries, veterinarians have shown their commitment to support the work of human health authorities. Veterinary laboratories have used their experience and expertise in high throughput testing capacity of infectious diseases to engage in activities such as surveillance screening, by testing human samples, thereby supporting the diagnostic capacity of human health services[5]. The gene sequencing of Covid-19 virus for the first time was done by a Gujarat based veterinarian[6,7]. A lot of veterinary clinics have been donating essential materials such as personal protective equipment and ventilators[8]. Veterinary professionals have also been volunteering in hospitals and laboratories when human resources were not sufficient. In some countries, veterinary epidemiologists have been supporting their counterparts in the public health response to track the disease in humans and to support the development of effective public health interventions.

ALSO READ :  Responding to the COVID-19 crisis: the contribution of the veterinary profession

In conjunction with crisis management effort, it should not be forgotten, that on a daily basis, the activities of Veterinary Services contribute to critical needs, which are heavily challenged in the current circumstances: food security and safety, as well as livelihoods, are intrinsically linked to sound animal production systems. It is crucial that Veterinary Services continue to implement their multiple activities, which contribute to ensure a continuum in safe food provision for populations and to sustain their subsistence. The effects of COVID-19 on economies, animal health, and food security remain as important as ever.

Through its mission to set animal health and welfare standards, to inform, and to build capacity, the OIE is fully mobilized to accompany Veterinary Services across the world to address the situation. It has put in place a response mechanism to support them in several aspects of their work. The OIE liaises closely with its tripartite partners, WHO and FAO. Several OIE expert groups are developing scientific advice on research priorities, sharing results of on-going research in animals, and developing a scientific opinion on the implications of COVID-19 for animal health and veterinary public health. The OIE has also developed high-level guidance for veterinary laboratories working with public health services to support testing of human samples and is currently developing guidance on the circumstances under which exceptional testing of animals might be justified. Looking to the future the OIE is working with its Wildlife Working Group, Member Countries and international partners to develop an ambitious work program that aims to reduce and manage the risk of spillover events between wildlife, livestock and humans.

Areas of work include maintaining food safety by proper surveillance during import and export, zoonotic control, combating antimicrobial resistance, environment pollution control, impeding bioterrorism and agroterrorism, advancing prophylaxis (by vaccines production), control transmission of non-zoonotic diseases and other health-related threats shared by people, animals and the environment. And this concept became more important during this havoc COVID pandemic which was becoming very difficult to control. The SARS-CoV-2 is a clade consisting the prototypes of humans, bats and pangolins. This +ss- RNA club-shaped spherical virus contains crown-shaped projections over lipid bilayered envelope and codes for structural proteins[9] {Protein E (envelope), S(spike), M (membrane) and N (nucleocapsid)} along with 16 non-structural proteins. About 19 million cases with approximately 728 thousand deaths were reported from 215 countries/territories from December 2019 to August 2020(a very short time period)[10]. The pandemic had challenged all the sectors of the world. Faults during import and export of animals, improper health checkup during transportation mainly overseas, ignoring Covid-19 safety guidelines (not wearing masks, improper or no sanitization, etc.), mishandling or misinterpreting the virus potential and errors in forecasts due to lack of research materials, favored the virus transmission as quick as lightning stroke destroying everything that comes in between.

ALSO READ :  Veterinarian Response to the COVID-19 Crisis

The rapid spread of such type of zoonotic diseases indicates that veterinarians occupy the primary and central position in managing the diagnosis, prevention, control and transmission too of new emerging diseases. Veterinarians can also safeguard global food security and can control the disease spread by implementing their expertise in multiple fields including epidemiology, public health, food safety, biosecurity, livestock products technology, and many more. They also ensure that only healthy and disease-free animals and their byproducts enter the food import-export chain in order to guarantee food safety for the population[11].

Veterinarians circulated awareness at ground level in order to break the Corona chain along with smooth conduction of clinics as reliving patients from their affections is their primary motive. Meanwhile, a Veterinarian also has knowledge about the pathogens infecting animals, humans or both. Hence it easier to diagnose and treat a zoonotic for them. Either in clinics or in the field, a veterinarian dispersed as much as possible awareness among the farmers or pet owners in their local language and simplified the technical concepts related to Covid-19 for them. Illiterate farmer, who can’t pronounce the word quarantine properly, too knows it’s meaning and significance very well. This proves that the veterinarian works at the root level of society and simplifies the work of government. Without thinking about their own life, they along with other Corona warriors helped in sampling, diagnosis, medicine distribution and the rest of all other works required to be done.

A major role is played by the veterinarian in the life of a farmer whose whole economy depends on his/her livestock. Due to pandemic, the normal routine things of farmers like arranging feed and fodder (mainly dry fodder lots like husk) mainly at the gestation period of cattle to use their full milk giving potential, medicines, selling the milk and its products, purchasing new animals or their treatment, purchasing seeds and required fertilizers of fodder crops, selling the lots of these crops in markets, etc. became very difficult which produced a remarkable impact on their economy. Also, many farmers lost their daily milk buying customers because of the fear of this communicable disease. Then the role of a veterinarian comes into play. He/she not only helped the farmers legally to arrange feed and fodder lots by granting them permission along with all safety guidelines keeping in mind but also take care of farmers’ animals and pet’s owners. Although not completely but helped the farmers in managing their economy.

During the whole tenure of Covid-19, the hospitals/clinics were not closed. Measures to stop the spread of the corona virus were followed properly keeping in mind that it’s better to be late than to be called late.

Also, the veterinarian solved most of the owner’s problem by maintaining distance, only in emergencies these criteria failed. Also, minimum exchange of material like prescription list, money, etc. was done. Since it’s a technical era, softcopy was preferred over hardcopy and thus all the Covid-19 guidelines were followed sincerely.

ALSO READ :  Veterinary- A Profession Hidden down under

It’s not only about the role of a veterinarian but the role of budding veterinarians (Undergraduate students) should be praised too. Many students during lockdown helped the frontline heroes in works like cooking, packaging and distribution of food for quarantined people. With the support of professors, they managed their online classes and then under the assistance of the nearby Veterinarian, they gained a lot of knowledge about the actual situations in the field. Additionally, the Universities hostels were also used as quarantine centers.

Conclusion

The Current unpredictable nature of this pandemic and the mysteries around this virus require new and innovative approaches to tackle it; these will only be developed through cross-sectoral collaboration and collective actions. Moreover, this pandemic was not lesser than an arduous, effortful, backbreaking hurdle in the game of life. But together we can and will defeat this single-celled crown-spiked rapidly dividing virus too.

“Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence win championships”.

References

1. One Health Basics https://www.cdc.gov
  2. Lmater, M. A., Eddabbah, M., Elmoussaoui, T., & Boussaa, S. (2021). Modelization of Covid-19 pandemic spreading: A machine learning forecasting with relaxation scenarios of countermeasures. Journal of infection and public health, 14(4), 468–473. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jiph.2021.01.004
  3. Animal source of the Coronavirus continues to elude scientists https://www.nature.com
  4. COVID-19 and Animals https://www.cdc.gov
  5. Responding to the COVID-19 crises: the contribution of the veterinary profession https://www.oie.int
  6. Gujarat: Genome sequencing of Coronavirus decoded https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com
  7. http://14.139.244.179/vp/wp/pdf/e-Bulletin/MAY-2020.pdf
  8. Gautam, Anil & Khanal, Ashwani & Subedi, Deepak & Bhandari, Suman & Kaphle, Krishna. (2020). Contribution of Veterinary Sector to Control COVID-19 Pandemic in Nepal. World s Veterinary 10. 297-305. 10.36380/scil.2020.wvj38.
  9. Kumar, S., Nyodu, R., Maurya, V. K., & Saxena, S. K. (2020). Morphology, Genome Organization, Replication, and Pathogenesis of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2). Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): Epidemiology, Pathogenesis, Diagnosis, and Therapeutics , 23–31. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-15-4814-7_3
  10. de Melo, R., Rossi, D., Monteiro, G., & Fernandez, H. (2020). Veterinarians and One Health in the Fight Against Zoonoses Such as COVID-19. Frontiers In Veterinary Science, 7. doi: 10.3389/fvets.2020.576262
  11. Robert L. Fathke, Sangeeta Rao, Mo Salman, The COVID-19 pandemic: A time for veterinary leadership in one health, One Health, Volume 11, 2020, 100193, ISSN 2352-7714. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.onehlt.2020.100193. https://www.sciencedirect.com

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to review this post!

Average Rating 4.8 ⭐ (18 Review)

No review so far! Be the first to review this post.

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you !

Let us improve this post !

Tell us how we can improve this post?

Authors

Be the first to comment